Birthday Wishes

As the clock strikes 00:00
ninth day of January breathes 
its first sigh..
Close by, my yearly crossroads
I meet Janus, always, right on time!
But unlike our previous meetings
as his gifted choices..
I see no doors, only arches!

It has been a tradition every year until now
when given a choice between doors and arches
I prefered decorated arches to closed doors
Well, I don't fancy going blind into the future, you know
not even a single step further, but most importantly 
I never, never asked for a birthday wish
wording a wish can be a tricky affair..
With the Gods especially 
one can never be careful enough!
Come on now, read any stories about Gods
fulfilling wishes can get downright lethal!
So the ever cautious me, all this time
just tucked my wishes, nicely inside a box
and sneaked them along, under a chosen arch
Inside the box, my wishes alike Schrödinger's cat
at the the same time existed and not!

Birthday wishes, easier to sneak initially
eventually had to be carried, then heaved
currently are being dragged by me..
What was initially like a Pandora's box with a lid on it
has become a wardrobe with a closed door
and that's exactly what Janus points out to me
Well the God of doors and gates can't help but be curious
as a choice, generously gifts me this door..
For the first time, after all these years 
I watch my wishes escape
like birds into a limitless sky
knowing perfectly well for better or worse
what lies behind..
a future self-imagined 
Without hesitation, finally I chose to open a door
who knew reaching 30s could be this liberating!


Interesting post tidbits :
- Janus was the god of beginnings and transitions in Roman mythology, and presided over passages, doors, gates and endings, as well as in transitional periods such as from war to peace. He was usually depicted as having two faces looking at opposite ways, one towards the past and the other towards the future.
- January is named after Janus
- Greek equivalent for Janus is Hermes
- Schrodinger's cat ,you already know, if you are interested in quantum superposition as me 😁
- did you catch Narnia reference - wardrobe with a closed door
- well everyone knows Pandora's box duh!





















P.S. 

Images used does not belong to me. Used solely for aesthetic purpose, courtesy google search.

Credit to the actual owner. No copyright infringement intended. 

Comments

Popular Posts