Nurturing a Legacy


It was 10 at night, on a train
way back home, across
sits a lady, probably 60,
with short hair, cropped
a little enthusiastic
but polite, 'Do you speak Marathi?'

I nod, pulling out my earphones
smiling a little
at that huge smile gracing her features..
asks me - What do I call my mom
'Mummy' or 'Aaii' ?
'Aaii' I say, automatically
there it goes again..
an another huge smile..

She tells me..
how she struggles
to get her mobile data on, laughs
how it leaves her in wonder
how quick and complex, is life online
how she is up for joining
the FB, Insta bandwagon..
but she agrees, sometimes
she is just lost..

But it makes her content
to meet the young ones
those, calling their mom 'Aaii'
those who enjoy, caring for plants
those who enjoy, climbing up on hills,
those who enjoy, crawling up on rooftops,
lying on their backs
passing time, counting stars..
to know, that not all of her
is yet entirely lost..

And this is me doing my little,
hoping that, I nurture, if not all
a little of that legacy.. 

Comments

Popular Posts